Monday, March 19, 2007

Recovering from the weekend

The weekend out at the farm was great, but I find myself needing to recharge my batteries from the recharging of my batteries out there... Lots of good food, beer drinking, fire sitting, guitar picking and singing. I also spent two nights in a tent for the first time in something like 20 years or so. Mike lent me a cot to sleep on in the tent I borrowed from Micha, so I was pretty darn comfortable.

I returned to Houston early Sunday afternoon for a second visit to the Rodeo to see that lil' old band from Texas, ZZ Top. I started listening to them a year or two before the release of Eliminator to some of their earlier more bluesy albums like Tres Hombres and Tejas. It was the first time I have seen them, and while it wasn't the best venue to see a show in (as I chronicled in my post about the Sheryl Crow show) they put on an amazing show, all the more so considering that they've been together and making music for close to forty years now. Here's the set list as best I was able to notate in text message form on my phone:

Ring of Fire (June Carter Cash)
I'm Bad, I'm Nationwide
Pincusion
Beer Drinkers, Hell Raisers
Cheap Sunglasses
Pearl Necklace
Just Got Paid
Waltz Across Texas (Ernest Tubbs)
Gimme All Your Lovin'
Sharp Dressed Man
Viva Las Vegas (Elvis Presley)
Legs
La Grange
Baby Why Don't You
Tush

Lots of surprises and good old material in there. The show finished nice and early as well, giving me the opportunity to get home and sleep like a log, which was nice because it's been a rare occurrence lately. As a matter of fact, I can hear the bed calling me right now, so I'll sign off...

No comments: