Friday, October 19, 2007

My Rikki Tikki Tavi Impersonation, or: Staring COBRA Square in the Eye

With my departure from the Alley rapidly approaching, the time has come to begin taking the many steps that cement the reality of it into place more and more with each one. Over the course of this week I've been gradually removing the vestiges and signs of my occupation of the sound office and recording/editing suite through the collection of wall and bulletin board decorations, desk clutter, personal tools and other items. It's getting to the point where the next few things to come down (my license plate collection that has been in residence for almost ten years, a huge Marillion poster) will hammer home the fact that I will be part of the elapsed history of the Alley in a little over seven days.

Another step which I just took was the meeting I just had to secure continued benefits coverage during the period that I will be accruing the necessary amount of contributed funds in the Flex Account administered by the stagehands' union here in Houston to allow me to enroll in the benefits plans that they offer to their members and employees (I guess that's what they call folks that work off the referral list but don't have cards) via COBRA. Always an eye opening experience, finding out exactly how much that stuff costs and how much employers pay out of the monthly premiums. I'm amazed that employers haven't gotten together and stood up to the health care industry about the ridiculousness of the rates that they are charging to essentially shuffle paper and work as hard as they can to deny benefits and coverage.

Somebody somewhere is making a shitload of money, it seems. Enough to bribe and cajole U.S. Congress members to vote against funding a government run independently taxed health care program for children. Enough, even, to kill for, I guess.

No comments: